Absolut Vodka breathes new life into sustainability
Vodka brand launches marketing activations in connection with Earth Day
On Earth Day, Absolut Vodka, a brand of New York-based Pernod Ricard USA, announced its new platform to promote our planet — and its people — as Planet Earth's Favorite Vodka. Absolut hopes to inspire others in its belief that small changes today can lead to big impact tomorrow, it says.
With a new model built around listening to the Earth, the vodka brand is taking steps to learn, act and celebrate action — regardless of how big or small, it adds.
"Absolut has always done things differently and, now, we're reframing what it means to be a sustainability-focused brand," said Regan Clarke, brand director of Absolut for Pernod Ricard USA, in a statement. "With Planet Earth's Favorite Vodka, we hope to breathe new life into sustainability — inspiring others to do what's right for the environment, and one another, while always remembering to celebrate progress."
To help bring the hashtag #AbsolutPlanet vision to life, Absolut launched a digital hub that features live data and analysis of what the Earth is “saying,” including facts about the environment (like waste pollution and recycling) and conversations from our communities (such as equality, acceptance and fighting for LGBTQ rights). After Absolut listens to the Earth, the brand learns, takes action and celebrates the actions to inspire more impact. With the Absolut.com/US/AbsolutPlanet hub, the brand is bringing people together via URL with the hopes of making an impact in real life (IRL).
To kick-off Planet Earth's Favorite Vodka, Absolut focused on Los Angeles and New York City to listen and learn about the waste issues impacting our country's coasts, before focusing action around two important areas – waste pollution in L.A. and recycling in N.Y.C.
Turning One Ton of L.A. Trash into Treasure with Dan Tobin Smith
- In March, Absolut partnered with nonprofit organization Global Inheritance to organize a largescale clean-up at Ballona Creek in L.A.
- To help visualize the impact of the clean-up and inspire others to take action, Absolut partnered with artist Dan Tobin Smith to turn the trash into artful treasure in the form of an interactive, educational, 3-D live billboard.
- The billboard installation uses augmented reality allowing passersby to unlock content at their fingertips — from learning more about the riverbank clean-up to the making of the installation to discovering how to enjoy Absolut the sustainable way.
- To celebrate the installation, Absolut is partnering with AEG Global Partnerships to host an exclusive happy hour and AXS Patio Session featuring singer/songwriter Anabel Englund and specialty Planet Earth's Favorite Vodka cocktails.
Rethinking Recycling in NYC
- In New York City, Absolut is piloting Absolut Bar Recycle, a one of a kind private experiential event where guests are encouraged to trade in recyclables and enjoy a cocktail while raising awareness for recycling efforts in NYC.
- As part of the Absolut Bar Recycle experience, Absolut is encouraging locals to be better recyclers across the five boroughs while celebrating small changes over premium cocktails with a sustainable twist.
- To extend the local mission, Absolut is donating $50,000 to Plastic Pollution Coalition to reduce waste in New York, through local retail stores and bars, along with an offer for consumers to get involved to help double the donation by using hashtag #AbsolutParty.
Coast-to-coast Community Clean-ups & Absolut America's Final Straw
Across the United States, Absolut has activated its network of nearly 100 Absolut brand ambassadors in 41 cities across 17 states organizing 40-plus clean-up activities tailored to, and rallied around their local community.
In support of this summer's limited-edition Absolut America bottle launch, Absolut is standing behind the mission of Plastic Pollution Coalition and FinalStraw to put an end to plastic straw use.
Absolut's efforts with FinalStraw, complete with a sweepstakes to win a free FinalStraw reusable straw, inspire partying with purpose all summer long with eco-friendly barbecue tips and Absolut America cocktail recipes.