Pepsi to roll out new campaign at Super Bowl LIII
Brand proves it’s ‘More than OK’
Pepsi, a brand of Purchase, N.Y.-based PepsiCo, announced its new 360-degree Super Bowl LIII campaign, complete with its halftime show and lead-in, Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year announcement, local Atlanta activations, consumer giveaways and more.
This year, Pepsi is using the world’s biggest stage to answer the question, “Is Pepsi OK?,” showing the world — and the Internet — that Pepsi is much “more than OK!,” the company says.
The brand’s in-game advertisement, More Than OK, stars Academy Award-nominated and Golden Globe Award-winner Steve Carell, Grammy Award-nominated artist Cardi B, and Grammy Award-winner Lil Jon, it adds. The advertisement takes a humorous and playful approach to directly address to consumers that ordering a Pepsi is so much more than OK.
Pepsi’s More Than OK conversation will come to life in a number of ways across multiple social media outlets throughout the week and in local Pepsi pours in Atlanta, so fans can proudly share their Pepsi pride, the company says.
“Every day, there are millions of people who enjoy Pepsi — people wo love this brand — yet they continue to be asked ‘Is Pepsi OK?,” said Todd Kaplan, vice president of marketing at Pepsi, in a statement. “We felt that it was time to address this question head-on, by celebrating our fans, our valued restaurant partners, and our core consumers by unapologetically letting everyone know that Pepsi is way more than OK. With the help of a star-stubbed lineup, we’re taking this concept, and playfully flipping it on its head to show the world how refreshing, exhilarating, and downright awesome a delicious ice-cold Pepsi truly is.”
For Super Bowl LIII, Pepsi will be painting the town “blue” with bold outdoor advertising, custom packages, epic celebrations and a number of other surprises, it says. In addition, the brand will once again present the Pepsi Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show and the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year winner — all while providing a number of ways for consumers to get involved and participate in this year’s game, it adds.
The following will coincide with Super Bowl LIII:
- Halftime Show and 0:10 lead-in: Pepsi will present the halftime show featuring award-winning multiplatinum band Maroon 5, rapper Travis Scott and Atlanta native Big Boi.
- “Planet Pepsi” Super Bowl Party: On Feb. 1, an iconic Atlanta venue will turn into “Planet Pepsi” — an immersive, one-of-a-kind party that will feature a performance by Travis Scott. At “Planet Pepsi,” the brand will create the ultimate atmosphere for fans attending the concert, including multi-sensory experiences, projection mapping and more, the company says.
- NFL Rookie of the Year Award: On Jan. 31, Pepsi will award the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year Award. This year's finalists are Saquon Barkley (running back), Nick Chubb (running back), Darius Leonard (linebacker), Phillip Lindsay (running back) and Baker Mayfield (quarterback). The winner will be awarded at Pepsi's Rookie Brunch Party, which will feature a trophy presentation by ESPN's Sam Ponder and country music duo LOCASH, a DJ set by Grammy Award-winner Lil Jon and a performance by Pepsi's Sound Drop artist Bryce Vine, it says.
- Limited-edition football shaped Pepsi cans: Pepsi created a small batch of limited-edition, football-shaped and heavily textured NFL football cans to celebrate. Pepsi will surprise and delight fans through its social media channels, awarding these completely unique collectible cans to the most passionate Pepsi fans the week leading up to the big game, it says. Fans can also find commemorative Pepsi Super Bowl LIII cans in local Atlanta retailers, it adds.
- Pepsi paints Atlanta blue: Pepsi has painted Atlanta blue, with more than 350 pieces of outdoor advertising across the city including blue messaging blanketing stores, billboards, recycling bins, train stations and more. Pepsi pour restaurant locations all around town have been outfitted to wear their "blue" and are offering a number of special promotions and giveaway opportunities for consumers, including giving away Pepsi Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show sideline passes and game tickets, it says.
To join the conversations use the hashtags #PepsiMoreThanOK and #PepsiHalftime across Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.