ITI Tropicals releases coconut water and coconut milk blends
Protypes designed to encourage formulation conversations
Bulk tropical fruit juices, purees and concentrates supplier iTi Tropicals Inc. announced the availability of six custom coconut water and coconut milk prototype blends specifically designed to stimulate research and development and to initiate a creative dialog. The company’s goal is to encourage beverage manufacturers to experiment with these special ingredients, discover new formulations and functions, and collaborate with iTi product development scientists for insights and assistance, it says.
Displaying coconut ingredients, the prototypes include an organic coconut water and 100 percent juice beverage, two coconut milk beverages, a light culinary coconut milk, an apple-coconut water blend, and an orange-coconut water blend. All prototypes are packaged in shelf-stable 330-ml Tetra Prisma boxes.
The following are the six prototypes:
- The organic coconut water and 100 percent juice prototype is a pure and natural isotonic beverage featuring five essential electrolytes, more potassium than a banana, and no added sugars and is fat free, cholesterol free and preservative free. It can be incorporated into many beverage applications, the company says.
- The two coconut milk beverages, a coconut milk beverage made from 33 percent coconut water from concentrate and a coconut milk beverage made from 100 percent coconut water from concentrate, are formulated with reconstituted coconut water from concentrate and coconut cream. Health benefits include a lower fat content (similar to reduced-fat 2 percent milk) and appreciable amounts of electrolytes (potassium, sodium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium) from the coconut water, the company says. These creamy products are light white in color. The use of coconut water in place of regular dilution water adds body, a bolder flavor, and a pleasant texture, according to the company. Further, the coconut water content of the coconut milk beverage made from 33 percent coconut water can be labeled as 30 percent juice, and the coconut milk beverage made from 100 percent coconut water can be labeled as 91 percent juice.
- The light coconut culinary milk prototype is a 6 percent fat coconut culinary milk and predominantly is designed for cooking, the company says. A vegan ingredient, it is dairy, gluten, and GMO free.
- The apple-coconut water and orange-coconut water beverages are ingredient blends that showcase 100 percent juice products having 25 percent fewer calories versus other apple or orange juice products, the company says. This is accomplished because coconut water has a single strength of 4.2 degrees brix, it adds. The coconut water provides juice content without interfering with the characteristic flavor, texture or color of other fruit juices, according to the company.
- The company also plans to release new prototypes in May. These prototypes will feature coconut water diluted to either 3 or 4 degrees brix and with 1 percent sugar added; coconut water and passionfruit blend with 100 percent juice content; coconut water and acerola blend with 100 percent juice content; coconut water, spinach, mango and blueberries with 100 percent juice content; coconut water, red beet, passionfruit and carrots with 100 percent juice content; toasted coconut water with 100 percent juice content; cranberry and coconut water with 100 percent juice content; and grape-coconut water with 100 percent juice content.
iTi Tropicals Inc., 30 Gordon Ave., Lawrenceville, N.J. 08648; 609/987-0550; ititropicals.com.