Fairtrade America, Washington, D.C., announced it has partnered with six Fairtrade certified brands to encourage shoppers to make purchases with people and the planet in mind.
Around the world, farmers who grow everyday staples such as coffee, cocoa and bananas, are grappling to adapt to extreme weather and challenging conditions brought about by climate change. These farming families contribute the least to climate change, but often suffer the most. Now, more so than ever, we need to come together as a global community to protect our planet and our farmers, according to the nonprofit.
Fairtrade America has joined forces with six Fairtrade certified brands to generate broader awareness of how the action of purchasing a Fairtrade certified product,can be a powerful way to make a difference in the lives of the almost 2 million farmers and workers participating in Fairtrade across the globe, while also combatting troublesome climate issues like decreased harvests because of warmer weather. The mantra? “Choose Fairtrade. Choose the Planet.”
“The negative impacts of rising temperatures and sea levels are impacting many crops in alarming ways,” said Mary Linnell-Simmons, Fairtrade America's director of marketing and external relations, in a statement. “Farmers with low incomes have limited access to educational resources and technology that can help them evolve along with our climate. Our hope with this campaign is to shine a light on the importance of recognizing the issues our farmers face, and to show our support by making purchasing decisions that help them earn a fair wage.”
The Fairtrade Mark appears on more than 30,000 products globally and new brands are committing to Fairtrade every day. In an effort to put people and our planet first, Fairtrade America and six ethical brands will host a giveaway on Instagram and Facebook that will celebrate the benefits of Fairtrade certified products, and provide three winners the opportunity to win a Choose Fairtrade: Choose the Planet prize package filled with everyday items that have a reduced impact on our planet and a positive impact on farmers.
Each of these Fairtrade certified products are available to purchase on Amazon. Several of the brands also are part of the Amazon Climate Pledge Friendly program, which Amazon launched last year to make it easier for customers to discover and shop for sustainable products on the ecommerce platform. Fairtrade is excited to promote small purchase choices making a big impact with the following brands and products:
- Organic India Tulsi Original Loose Leaf Herbal Tea: Tulsi, or Holy Basil, is the most sacred plant in India and is venerated as, "The Queen of the Herbs." It has been used for thousands of years to support a healthy stress response and natural detoxification and restore balance and harmony. Tulsi (Holy Basil) supports a healthy stress response and mood and supports the immune system and the body's detoxification system.
- Ethical Bean Lush Coffee: If this Organic roast was any richer, one might ask it for a loan. A heavy cup with fruit and earth notes, sourced seasonally to make sure the freshest beans possible are provided. Bonus, every bag has a unique QR code on the back, allowing consumers to trace that specific coffee from crop to cup and find out exactly what Fairtrade co-op(s) grew the beans.
- Tag AlohaBeach Bum Bag: The bag is ideal for beach-bumming, wave-catching, shave ice-eating, mountain-hiking, and everything in between. Featuring a handy inner pocket for all of the important stuff, and the cutest pineapple zipper to be seen. By investing in sustainably sourced organic cotton and Fairtrade – well, it makes one swell Beach Bum! Made from 100% Certified Organic, Fairtrade Certified Cotton.
- Endangered Species Chocolate Bars: Endangered Species Chocolate is passionate about bringing authentic chocolate to consumers with real, responsibly sourced, health-conscious ingredients and no mysterious sweeteners or additives that not only taste good, but make a true impact on the world. Featuring three beautiful, dairy-free bars including: Strong + Velvety Dark Chocolate, Almonds Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate Caramel Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate.
- Navitas Organics Cacao Powder: Navitas Organics Cacao Powder is made from single origin, Fairtrade certified, organic cacao beans sourced from Sierra Leone, where Navitas Organics is proud to invest in cacao co-ops, farmer field schools, reforestation planning, and just labor practices. Non-alkalized and never roasted at high temperatures, Navitas Organics Cacao Powder retains the antioxidants, minerals and high nutritional value found naturally in the cacao bean. It has a rich chocolate taste that's delicious in brownies, cakes, hot cocoa, smoothies, homemade chocolates, and more!
- Uprise Foods NOOCH IT!: NOOCH IT! Cashew Grated Cheeze is America's first certified Fairtrade cheese alternative, and is a versatile topping that can be used on everything from salads, soups, pasta, to nearly any entree. Uprise Foods was founded on the belief inclean sourcing and ingredient transparency, and NOOCH IT! is not only vegan and gluten free, but it also has no additives or preservatives. The cashew "parm" is delicious, and can also be enjoyed knowing that every bite is helping to create a more just and compassionate food system.
The giveaway kicked off this morning, and entries will be accepted through June 15. The three winners will be announced June 16. In addition to the giveaway, throughout the month of June, Fairtrade America will utilize its owned website, social channels and blog to further educate consumers on the impact of climate change on farmers, and how we can partner as a global community to combat this issue. Content will include farmer stories, commodity spotlights and details on the Fairtrade Climate Academy, a three-year pilot program developed to bring coffee farmers together to share skills and experiences that prepare them for future climate-related challenges.