Pack Expo powers innovation in Las Vegas
North Hall spotlights robotics
Pack Expo Las Vegas 2019, an event for packaging industry professionals to connect, learn, discover new technologies and fuel their success, will take place Sept. 23-25 at the Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas. Produced by PMMI, the Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, and co-located with the Healthcare Packaging Expo, this year’s tradeshow will host more than 30,000 attendees and 2,000 exhibitors from close to 130 countries across the nearly sold-out 900,000 net-square-feet exhibit flow showcasing the latest packaging machinery in action.
The tradeshow will feature expert-led education and networking events to foster connections within and across more than 40 vertical markets. There also will be Pavilions dedicated to printing; containers and materials; the confectionery industry and more.
“We are excited to unveil our new show features that will add even more value for the industry professionals making the trip to attend,” said Laura Thompson, vice president of trade shows at PMMI, in a statement. “We are constantly looking for ways to improve the attendee experience and provide access to the latest industry trends, thought leaders and maximize the networking at the show. What better way than offering more on-floor experiences and education to maximize time spent at the show.”
The following are highlights of Pack Expo Las Vegas 2019:
- A PACK gives BACK event on Sept. 23, kicks off with a networking reception at 4 p.m., followed by a performance by the legendary Steve Miller Band known for hits such as “Take the Money and Run,” “Fly Like an Eagle” and “Abracadabra.” Sponsored by Rockwell Automation, a portion of the fundraiser will support NS2 Serves, a nonprofit dedicated to helping recent U.S. military veterans transition from combat boots to business suits. This charitable group provides valuable IT training and employment assistance at no cost to veterans.
- To capitalize on the fact that robot use in the packaging industry has grown nearly 48 percent among consumer packaged goods (CPG) companies and 30 percent in the life sciences/pharma sector, Pack Expo will introduce the Robotics Zone (Booth N-850 in the North Hall). Sponsored by Omron Automation, the new show floor destination spotlights new robotic technology, human and robot interaction, and collaborative robot (cobot) displays.
- As part of this new zone, teams from Las Vegas high schools will showcase their robots in motion in the Future Innovators Robotics Showcase. Robots also will be used to fight hunger. For instance, in the PACK for a Purpose: Robots Fighting Hunger, in collaboration with Blessings in a Backpack, will feature exhibitor robots showcasing a variety of different applications while packing 6,000 bags of food to feed kids on the weekends.
- The Packaging & Processing Women’s Leadership Network (PPWLN) will host a breakfast networking event featuring Ellen Ochoa, the first Hispanic woman in space and second female director of NASA’s Johnson Space Center. In her Sept. 24 keynote address, “Exploring New Territory,” Ochoa will share her experiences as a history-making astronaut, including thoughts on driving change and building diverse, effective teams. An active astronaut since 1991, Ochoa became the first Hispanic woman to go to space on April 8, 1993, when she served on a nine-day mission aboard the shuttle Discovery. The event is part of PPWLN’s effort to spotlight women’s contributions to STEM fields and support women in the packaging and processing industries.
- Making its Pack Expo Las Vegas debut in the Central Hall, the Forum offers free, 45-minute learning sessions on the latest industry trends, including hands-on activities, small group discussions and question-and-answer sessions each day of the show.
- The Flexible Packaging Association (FPA) exhibit, located in the Central Hall, booth C-1341, will display the winning packages from the 2019 Flexible Packaging Achievement Award competition. FPA also will distribute copies of the 2019 Achievement Awards and Innovation Showcase as well as the 2020 Flexible Packaging Achievement Awards Call for Entries.
- CareerLink, PMMI’s online job board, is going live for the first time at the tradeshow. It is an opportunity for PMMI, Contract Packaging Association, Institute of Packing Professional members and CPG companies to meet with students and veterans pursuing careers in packaging and processing during one-on-one informational interviews at the show.
New to the Vegas event, the PACKage Printing Pavilion will showcase the latest innovations in digital printing. This 35,000-square foot area, located in the Central Hall, brings digitally charged end users challenged with SKU proliferation, micromarketing efforts, sustainability and traceability face to face with OEMs ready to deliver solutions. The Pavilion focuses on the advantages of digital printing; geared toward short-run, on-demand, cost-effective, variable data and personalized packaging. As consumers look for smarter packaging options, the advancements in digital printing are more critical than ever, making this pavilion a must-see for all show attendees.
“Following the successful launch at PACK EXPO International 2018 and with the expected growth in digital package printing, we are thrilled to offer a space where end users seeking solutions can connect with the suppliers providing these new, cutting-edge innovations,” Thompson said. BI