Beverage News / Beer

Brewers Association reports 2013 craft beer growth

Volume and sales reach record levels as market share surpasses 7 percent

March 17, 2014
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+

The Brewers Association (BA), Boulder, Colo., released 2013 data about U.S. craft beer industry. Craft beer rose 18 percent in volume sales, representing a total of 15.6 million barrels, and increased 20 percent in retail dollar value, making the segment the primary growth driver in the beer industry, according to the BA.

In 2013, craft beer reached 7.8 percent volume of the total U.S. beer market, up from 6.5 percent the previous year. Additionally, craft dollar share of the total U.S. beer market reached 14.3 percent in 2013 as retail dollar value from craft beer was estimated at $14.3 billion, up from $11.9 billion in 2012, the association reported.

“With this stellar year, craft has now averaged 10.9 percent growth over the last decade,” said Bart Watson, staff economist at the BA, in a statement. “Beer drinkers are excited about what small and independent brewers are offering, and that is evidenced by the rising production and sales of the craft segment.”

Additionally, the number of operating breweries in the United States in 2013 totaled 2,822, with 2,768 of those considered craft, according to BA definitions. By these numbers, craft breweries make up 98 percent of all U.S. operating breweries, it says. This count also includes 413 new brewery openings and 44 closings. Combined with already existing and established breweries and brewpubs, craft brewers provided 110,273 jobs, an increase of almost 2,000 from the previous year.

“Openings of brewing facilities continue to far outpace closings, demonstrating that the demand for high-quality, local, fuller-flavored beers is only increasing,” Watson added in a statement. “The geographic diversity of openings and production growth shows the national nature of this movement. In towns all across the country, craft brewers are creating jobs, delivering innovative products, advancing the beverage of beer, and strengthening their local economies.”

To view an infographic showcasing 2013 craft beer sales and operations data, click here.

 Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to Beverage Industry.  

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

Dinner with Tequila Don Julio

Diageo is taking its Tequila Don Julio brand on the road this summer with a rolling Airstream Speakeasy mobile craft cocktail bar. The team stopped in Chicago on July 29 to share some specialty tequila cocktails paired with food from Chicago restaurants Honey Butter Fried Chicken and The Radler as well as dessert venues Black Dog Gelato and Baker Miller. (Photos by Jennifer Haderspeck)

9/17/14 2:00 pm EDT

The Path to New Product Success: Navigating the latest trends for new beverage development

By attending this webinar, you will learn about the top trends and how they fit into the CPG market, which channels are influencing new products and technology, how Packaging fits into your product development, and ways you can use innovation to increase sales.

Podcasts

Gert van Manen, president of iTi Tropicals Inc., shares his insights on the U.S. coconut water market. Citing research from Krueger Food Laboratories, he also supplies information highlighting the difference between products that declare their added sugars and those that do not.

Beverage Industry Magazine

BI December 2014 cover

2014 December

The December 2014 Beverage Industry includes a cover story on craft beer's revenue growth, as well as articles about health and wellness trends, Foco, the best packages of 2014, and more. Check it out today!

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Styles of Craft Beer

Which style of craft beer will see the most growth in 2015?
View Results Poll Archive

THE BEVERAGE INDUSTRY STORE

cleaning-in-place-dairy-foo.gif
Cleaning-in-Place: Dairy, Food and Beverage Operations, 3rd Edition

This book addresses the principles of cleaning operations, water supply issues and the science of detergents and disinfectants.

More Products

Beverage Insider eNewsletter

Are you an Insider? Subscribe to Beverage Industry’s weekly e-newsletter to receive news headlines, new product information and magazine highlights.   

STAY CONNECTED

facebook40 twitter    youtubelinkedgoogle+ icon 40px

Webinars

Beverage Industry Webinars are an easy, effective and convenient way to get educated and informed on the latest industry trends and topics. All Webinars are FREE unless indicated. For more information, check out our Events page!