Natural Products Expo West identifies natural product trends for 2014
Tradeshow reports record-breaking attendee, exhibitor numbers
New Hope Natural Media, a Boulder, Colo.-based division of Penton, announced key trends in the global natural products marketplace at the 2014 Natural Products Expo West, which took place March 6-9 at the Anaheim Convention Center in California. Trends identified for 2014 include:
- Health and wellness consumers — The healthy eating movement is spreading across all demographic groups. Five distinct consumer segments, differentiated by lifestyles, behaviors, attitudes and beliefs about health and wellness, have been created for the industry.
- Convenience and accessibility — It is important for the industry to help make nutritious, clean food more accessible and convenient across multi-dimensional demographics and gauge how it will affect the health and wellness of all Americans.
- Labeling transparency — Consumers are asking for transparency with regard to product labels, claims and certifications, including non-genetically modified organism (GMO) and organic.
- Food tribes — The growing gluten-free, vegan, paleo and other special diet communities are fueling the healthy eating movement and changing the way people view food and community.
- The future of personalized health — With nutrigenomic advances and the rise of food intolerances and autoimmune diseases, the industry is learning that one person's "medicine" is another's "poison."
The tradeshow also broke records in terms of the number of attendees and exhibitors. The event grew 5 percent, bringing together more than 67,000 industry members, more than 2,600 exhibiting companies, and the most first-time exhibitors in the event's history, it says. Show organizers credit some of this growth to consumers’ increasing interest in natural, organic and healthy products, which represent a market segment that is poised to grow to $226 billion with an annual growth rate of 8.6 percent, according to the company.
"As we wrap up the 34th annual Natural Products Expo, we are proud of our commitment to the natural, organic and healthy living community," said Show Director Adam Andersen in a statement. "The macro trend and shift to healthier lifestyles created explosive growth this year. Our conference sessions offered attendees vital industry intelligence, and the exhibit floor buzzed with activity as attendees met the passionate individuals behind the brands on the shelves today and the products of the future."
Natural Products Expo West was co-located with Engredea and the Next Innovation Summit. The events focused around ingredient sourcing and product development, respectively.
Natural Products Expo East 2014 will return to the Baltimore Convention Center Sept. 17-20 in Baltimore. Natural Products Expo West 2015 is scheduled for March 5-8, 2015, at the Anaheim Convention Center.
For more detailed information about Natural Products Expo West exhibitors, be sure to keep an eye out for Beverage Industry’s post-show report online and in its upcoming April issue.